Knowledge Search


×
 

[Archive] NetScreen-204/208 Overview

  [KB4070] Show Article Properties


Summary:
NetScreen-204/208 Overview
Solution:

Note: This article applies to ScreenOS 4.0 and higher.

Port Use Connection Detail
Asset Recovery pinhole Allows you to reset the device to the original factory default settings.
Console Enables a serial connection to establish terminal sessions with the system. Used for launching Command Line Interface (CLI) sessions. The connector type is RJ-45 to serial, line speed is 9600 bps, and the protocol used is RS-232.
Modem Allows for establishing remote console sessions using dialup connections. Dialing into the modem port establishes the dialup console connection. The connector type is RJ-45 to serial, line speed is 9600 bps - 155 Kbps, and the protocol used is RS-232.
Compact Flash Slot Used for storage of system images, configuration files, keys, and logs. The NetScreen device automatically detects the presence of a flash card and records the event log to it. SanDisk CompactFlash (tm) cards with a variety of memory capacities. NetScreen has tested 96 MB and 512 MB cards.
Ethernet ports 1-4 (NetScreen-204) or 1-8 (NetScreen-208) Enables a direct connection to your workstation, a LAN connection through a switch or hub, or an Internet connection through an external router, DSL modem, or cable modem. This connection also allows you to manage the device through a Telnet session or the WebUI management application. The connector type is RJ-45 to serial, line speed is 10/100 Mbps auto-sensing, and the protocol used is Ethernet.

The front panel of your NetScreen-204/208 also has power and status LEDs for the device, as well as activity and link status LEDs for the Ethernet interfaces. These LEDs include the following status possibilities:

LED Disposition and Description
Power Green and solid on indicate the system is receiving power.
Off indicates the system is not receiving power.
Alarm Amber indicates a major alarm; low memory (less than 10% remaining); high CPU utilization (greater than 90%); log memory full; sessions full; maximum number of VPN tunnels reached; firewall attacks detected; HA status changed or redundant group member not found.
Red indicates a critical alarm such as the failure of a hardware component or software module.
Off indicates no alarms.
Status Green and solid on indicate the system is starting up and performing diagnostics.
Green and blinking indicate the system is functioning.
Amber and solid on indicate the system is at initial startup.
Amber and blinking indicate the system is starting up.
Off indicates no alarms.
Session Orange and solid on indicate session utilization is between 70% and 90%.
Red and solid on indicate session utilization is greater than 90%.
Off indicates normal session operation.
HA Green and solid on indicate the system is the primary (master) device.
Green and blinking indicate the system has not found a redundant member group.
Amber and solid on indicate the system is the secondary (backup) device.
Off indicates the system is not enabled for HA.
Flash Green and solid on indicate CompactFlash card is installed in CompactFlash slot.
Green and blinking indicate the CompactFlash card is active.
Red indicates the CompactFlash card is greater than 90% full or read/write activity has failed.
Off indicates the CompactFlash slot is empty.
Activity Green and blinking indicate that the port has detected traffic.
Link Green and solid on indicate the port has established a link with another device.
Off indicates the port has not established a link with another device.

The rear panel of your NetScreen-204/208 contains the power outlet and on/off switch. A NetScreen-200 Series device can have an AC power supply or a DC power supply. The DC power supply can operate on one or two DC feeds ranging from -36V to -72V. When you use two feeds, they share the load. If one feed fails, the other automatically assumes the full load. The internal fuse for the DC power supply is a 3.15A/250V, fast-acting fuse. This is not replaceable.

note:You can order your NetScreen-204/208 with either an AC or DC power supply.

warning:NetScreen recommends using a surge protector for the power connection.
 
Related Links: